Loud music, pool pumps and air conditioners are just some examples of noise that can disturb you or your neighbours. 

Resolving a dispute with a neighbour

If noise is bothering you, talking to your neighbour is often the best way to resolve the problem. In many cases, your neighbour may not know they are disturbing you.

If you can’t resolve the problem directly with your neighbour, contact us. If your complaint is of a nature that Council can't assist with, the NSW Government's Community Justice Centres may be of help. These centres provide free, confidential mediation and conflict management.

Time restrictions

(when noise from a residential premises should not be heard inside a neighbour’s residence)

Noise – from residential premises Time restrictions - when noise should not be heard in a habitable room in a neighbours residence
Power tools and equipment (e.g. leaf blowers, chainsaws, swimming pool pumps)

8pm - 7am on weekdays and Saturdays

  8pm - 8am on Sundays and public holidays
Music (e.g. live instruments, radios, TVs, CD and DVD players, home theatre systems)

10pm - 8am Sunday to Thursday

  Midnight - 8am on Friday, Saturday or any day preceding a public holiday
Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters

10pm - 7am on weekdays

  10pm - 8am on weekends and public holidays
Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residence)

8pm - 7am on weekdays

  8pm - 8am on weekends and public holidays


If you’re bothered by excessive noise or anti-social behaviour from a party late at night, contact your local police. If you're planning a party, it’s a good idea to notify your neighbours so they can prepare beforehand.

Intruder alarms

Contact us if a faulty alarm from a neighbouring house or car is bothering you. If you suspect theft, contact your local police.

Preventing noise pollution

When installing new equipment such as pool filtration or air conditioning systems, consider how your neighbours will be affected. Ideally, noisy systems should not be placed along the sides of your property or near neighbours’ windows. Where possible, noisy equipment should be housed within soundproof enclosures.

Related links